I had this idea to emboss the rose image from the set and then water color - as you can see from my last few posts, I've really been into water coloring. :o) After visiting Jerri's site, I wanted to get out my Tombow markers and try the technique she shares on her blog. I'm learning how to blend and highlight. I tried using two different blender pens to see if I liked one better than the other... I'm going to practice some more....lots more... :o)
- First, I stamped my images onto water color paper (pink roses) and vellum card stock (yellow roses) with the gold ink and embossed them. NOTE: Be careful with your embossed images. The embossing will break away from the paper/vellum.
- Using Jerri's technique, I dotted and blended using the Tombow markers. I colored all my leaves first and then cut them out. being extra careful trying not to crack the embossed pieces. Some pieces did break off. l will explain later what I did to fix les boo boos.
- Next, I colored the roses and cut them out.
- On the first card (pink roses), I wanted the roses to really stick out, and I found a way to make the them literally stick out - I used a Vertical Inspirations Foldover Card and let the roses hang out over the right edge.
- I ran the leaves through my Xyron to make sure to get adhesive completely on the cut out image. I adhered the leaves first. For the roses, I had to be careful not to put adhesive on the part that extended over the edge. I decided to put adhesive on the front of the card next to each leaf, and then lay the rose onto of the adhesive.
- For the rose inside the card, I lined it up with the bottom one by opening up the card and placing the (inside) rose on top of the adhered rose, so they were matched up. I then put the adhesive on the back of inside rose and closed the card. When the card is closed, the inside rose sits behind the front card rose (I hope that made sense).
- For the yellow roses, I ran the roses and leaves through the Xyron. I knew I was going to place them completely on the card.
I found out that the Xyron adhesive does not stick over embossed images. For the pink rose card, this was not a problem - it just gave the card a little more dimension. For the yellow rose card, this was a problem. Vellum CS tends to curl a bit after heat is applied. So, in the areas where the the vellum rose was over a leaf, it stuck up. The way I resolved this is using Crystal Lacquer. Marge had told me a long time ago that in addition to providing a nice glassy effect, it works as an adhesive that dries clear. Also, another big boo .... I was messing with my yellow bottom rose too much and really knocked off a lot of embossing, so I took my fourth colored rose and placed it right on top, using the Crystal Lacquer as the adhesive. That's why the bottom rose is darker than the other two.
STAMPS: Gina K PAPER: Strathmore cold pres 140lb, Stampin' Up! Velleum Card Stock, Sunday International Vertical Inspirations Foldover Card INK: Encore Ultimate Metallic Gold ACCESSORIES: Crystal Lacquer, Stampin' UP! gold detail embossing powder and blender pen, Sailor gold pen, Tombow markers 055, 993,725, 847, 173, 249, 296, N00
Take care and STAY POSITIVE!