I needed a card for a baby shower. I had already purchased a gift bag (from Michael's) and wanted to make the card match. I chose Dee Gruneig’s Jungle Junior Stamp Set from Sunday International.
1. First, I picked out markers to match the colors of the bag. This is a brand new stamp set, so I needed to clean off the manufacturer’s residue. There are various ways to do this. I like to use an eraser (which is only used for this purpose). I just erase on the stamp like I would on paper, making sure I cover the whole stamp. If you miss any areas, you’ll be able to tell when you use it. Just go back over the area. After I erase, I clean my stamp as I would when using water based inks – on a dampened paper towel, then blot on a soft rag.
2. I wanted the colors to be really bold and vibrant, so I chose a glossy paper. I knew I was going to cut out the images and layer them, so I used a self adhesive paper. You can get the same results by masking, but I wanted the images to raise off the CS, and I did not want to cut all those masks out.
3. Now for the fun part – coloring! For these bold image stamps, I color directly on the stamp with the markers, using at least two colors for blending. I learned this technique from Dee. She has a video that shows you exactly how do it. You can find it here. When I color on bold stamps, I load up the color then stamp off onto scrap paper and reload, then stamp onto the card stock (CS) I will use for my finished project.
4. While the animal images were drying (glossy paper takes a little longer for the ink to dry), I stamped the background onto the folded CS, stamping full on and off for variation. I used a homemade cloud template for the sky and lightly sponged the lightest color of blue in the blending blox ink pad.
5. I cut the images out and planned how to lay them out on the folded CS. I also stamped some extra foliage on the glossy sticker paper and cut it out. I simply peeled of the back and placed all the images where I wanted them. I used markers to give a little more detail to the images.
For a final touch to match the bag, I used a glue
pen and added glitter to highlight.
TIP: If you like to decorate your envelop to match your card, take it out at the beginning and keep it close. As you are inking up your stamps you can decide what you want on your envelop and stamp it then - rather than waiting until later and trying to remember what colors you used and having to clean your stamp(s) again.
Note: #4 Green Marvy Marker missed getting in the picture.
STAMPS: Dee Gruenig Jungle Junior PAPERS: High Gloss Foldover Greeting Cards & Envelops, Crack N' Peel Glossy Sticker Paper INKS: Marvy Blending Blox ACCESSORIES: Marvy Brush Art Markers, sponge, glue pen, Klassic Glitter Clear (SI)
Take care & STAY POSITIVE!!